Home Government Community Information Map Index User Tools Site Map
Good Evening.  Today is Wednesday, March 20, 2019 | Comments? | Disclaimer
Search: Go

County Government>County Departments>Probate Court & Family Division>Step-Parent Adoption

Step-Parent Adoption
These are the basic instructions on what you will need to file regarding a Step-Parent Adoption. At the bottom of this instruction page will be a list of forms that are required to file.
NOTE: There are two different sets of forms. One set is to be used when the non-custodial parent consents to the adoption, and the other set is to be used if the non-custodial parent does NOT consent to the adoption.

Attached you will find the necessary forms needed to commence adoption proceedings. They are to be completed in black or blue ink or typed and returned to this office. (If a section, line, or question does not apply, enter “N/A” or “None”.)

The Petition for Adoption and all documents must be completed correctly and entirely, or it cannot be accepted by the Clerk. A filing fee of $162.00, made payable to the Antrim County Clerk, must accompany these documents when filed. After an Order of Adoption is entered, a check or money order in the amount of $30.00, payable to the State of Michigan, is due for each child’s new birth certificate. (If the child was born outside of the State of Michigan, the fee will vary.)

All proceedings under the Adoption Code are “considered to have the highest priority” and will be completed “at the earliest possible time” (MCL 710.21A). If the non-custodial parent is consenting, please discuss this with him or her before you file your Petition. If you are requesting the Court to terminate a non-custodial parent’s rights without consent, you must be able to show that the parent has failed to substantially support the child for a period of 2 years or more and that the parent has failed or neglected to visit, contact, or communicate with the child for a period of 2 years or more. If this is your intent, a Supplemental Petition and Affidavit to Terminate Parental Rights of a Non-custodial Parent must also be filed.

During this process, please be aware that the Court can provide you with: legal definitions, procedural definitions, statutes, court rules, ordinances, information on court operations, forms and instructions on how to complete the forms, options, and general referrals. We cannot, however, provide you with: legal interpretations, procedural advice, research of statutes, court rules, or ordinances, opinions, subjective or biased referrals, or fill out forms for a person.

If you have additional questions, please contact our office at (231) 533-6681.
Non-Custodial Parent Consents to the Adoption
Non-Custodial Parent Does Not Consent to the Adoption
This page last updated on 10/6/2014.
Add To My CC
Use My CC
Log In
Parcel Search
County Government
Local Units of Government